We love breakfast foods in our house…especially savory breakfast foods with plenty of eggs (from backyard chickens, of course)! We even love to have them for dinner! Breakfast food is good food anytime of the day!
I got this recipe for an Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Strata from my CSA, Sandhill Organics. I had most of the ingredients so decided to give it a whirl! It was delicious and I bet could be assembled ahead of time and baked when you want to eat.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into slices
- 1 baguette or bread of your choice (I used sourdough) cut into 1/2 inch cubes (gluten free bread would be okay too)
- 2 cups loosely packed grated Fontina or Gruyere cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13x9x2- inch baking dish.
- Mix eggs, milk, onion, cream, basil and salt in a bowl.
- Add pepper.
- Add sausage to a hot pan and break it up with a spoon.
- Add bell pepper to other side of pan or skillet.
- Saute over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through about 7 minutes or so.
- Lay half of bread slices in prepared dish.
- Pour half of egg mixture over.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese, then half of sausage pepper mixture.
- Repeat layering. Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to submerge.
- Bake strata until puffed and brown, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly.
What are your favorite breakfast foods to eat for dinner?