Easter is right around the corner! How do you all celebrate?
One of my biggest memories of Easter from childhood is the Easter basket. We would get a basket in the morning, filled with cellophane grass and chocolate bunnies and other goodies. Sometimes there would be a book, or a toy, some playdoh or other treat. It was so exciting to open the basket and see what was inside!
Now that I have a daughter, so many of the little toys for filling a basket seem so cheap to me…little trinkets that will be in the garbage within a week. And the candy, I am so tired of the garbage filled ingredients. I am not opposed to a little non-real food candy on occasion, but our children are exposed to junk food all the time, I like to avoid it if at all possible.
I am always trying to do a junk free Easter basket whenever I can!
So, what can you put in your Easter basket that fits into the Real Food lifestyle? I have come up with a huge list of ideas of toys, treats, desserts, candies and more that you can use to make your Easter extra special and full of Real Food goodness!
We keep Easter simple and don’t go for big gifts. Here are some small but useful gifts children may like.
- Sidewalk chalk
- Swim suit
- Gardening tools
- Packs of seeds
- Card game
- Board game
- Art supplies
- iTunes gift card
- T-shirt or other item of clothing
- Nail polish, lip gloss, etc.
- Flip flops
- Cooking tools
Egg decorating is such fun for Easter! We usually decorate well ahead of the big day and hide the eggs around the house. Here are some great techniques for dying Easter eggs without the use of artificial colors and chemicals.
- Color Your Easter Eggs Naturally
from Blissfully Domestic
- Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs from Homestead Honey
- Egg Decorating with Spices and Seeds from Pure Ella
- Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs from Live Simply
- Red Eggs for Greek Easter from Nourishing Minimalism
- How to Dye Eggs Using Onion Skins from Real Food RN
- 10 Ways to Dye Eggs Naturally from Thoroughly Natural
- Natural Blue Food Coloring from Whole New Mom
Photo From Happy Health Nut
- A great place to buy all candy is Natural Candy Store. You can search candies with a variety of filters…allergies, organic, fair trade, etc.
- Brown Butter Fudge from Red and Honey
- Homemade Chocolate Caramels from Recipes to Nourish
- Paleo Almond Joys from Edible Harmony
- Almond Joy Chocolate Bark from A Happy Health Nut
- Sugar Free, Dairy Free Double Chocolate Bunnies from It Takes Time
- Superfood Gummies Four Ways from Eat Naked Now
- Healthy Probiotic Gummy Candies from Small Footprint Family
- Fruit Gummy Snacks from the Paleo Mama
- Strawberry Lemonade Gummies from the Coconut Mama
- Homemade Gummy Roundup from Yogi Mami
- Healthy Sour Kiwi Gummies from A Happy Health Nut
Other Candies and Small Sweet Treats
- Chewy Nutty Candy from Simple Healthy Tasty
- Carrot Fudge from My Heart Beets
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Macaroons from Red and Honey
- Candied Orange Peels from Raias Recipes
- Homemade Fruit Rolls from Edible Harmony
Other Fun Easter Ideas
- Grow Your Own Easter Grass (we did this one year and it was awesome!)
- Easter Bunny Gelatin Molds
- Paint Wooden Eggs (my daughter did this every year for 4 years in school and I still have them out in a little crystal bowl!)
- 25 Easter Egg Ideas from Babble
- 25 Real Food Paleo Easter Basket Ideas from Life Made Full
- 8 Way to Skip the Candy in the Easter Basket from Whistle Pig Hollow
- How to Make a No Junk Easter Basket from Kitchen Stewardship
- Go Green For Easter from Don’t Mess with Mama (this post has awesome ideas!!)
- Allergen Free Eater Treats from The Humbled Homemaker
Do you have any other ideas or suggestions? Would love to hear them! Leave them in the comments below!