My daughter LOVES peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I mean L O V E S. She could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let her!
I came across a smoothie recipe that sort of reminded me of a PB and J from my friend, Kristi, at Veggie Converter. I wanted to tweak it a bit using ingredients we have at home, added some maca (for stress relief) and gelatin (for digestion and healthy skin and nails)…sure enough…success!
My daughter LOVED this! I did too, actually. I liked the creaminess and sourness of the kefir, the sweet of the berry and the touch of nuttiness from the peanut butter. This is a great breakfast or snack.
You can make it ahead of time and keep in the fridge. You will need to re-blend with a bit of ice and some milk or kefir to get it back to a nice consistency before enjoying.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
adapted from Veggie Converter's Banana Almond Butter Coconut Smoothie
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups plain kefir
- 2 tbsp organic peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 handfuls of frozen berries (any berries)
- 1 handful of raw spinach
- 1 tbsp gelatin (where to buy)
- 1 tbsp maca (optional) (where to buy)
- Place all ingredients in high speed blender (buy one here)
- Add more liquid (milk or kefir) if necessary
- If this recipe makes too much, you can always refrigerate the leftovers. Then re-blend with some added kefir/milk and ice.