Brussels sprouts….Most people turn their nose up and say gross! Not sure why! If they are cooked properly, they can be absolutely delicious, as well as nutritious. These roasted brussels sprouts definitely are definitely my favorite!
Brussels Sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable and part of the Brassica family, like cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy and broccoli. They are a powerhouse of nutrition and are excellent sources of Vitamins K and C. They are also a good source of folate, fiber, manganese and vitamin A. They are thought to be helpful with detoxification and can help get rid of inflammation in the body.
I have always loved roasted brussels sprouts and was scouring the internet looking for a version that was ‘jazzed up' a bit.
I wanted something different I could make for my family. I scored when I came across this recipe on the internet. This recipe is guaranteed to turn anybody into a brussels sprout lover. And, with the beautiful ruby red tones of the cranberry butter sauce, this could be a perfect (nourishing) side dish for your holiday parties!
The crispy outer leaves, the tender insides…all topped with a sweet and tangy buttery sauce. What's not to love?
The colors of this roasted brussels sprout dish just scream HOLIDAY SIDE DISH!! Give it a try. It might be a new regular at your holiday table.
First you clean and halve your brussels sprouts. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet.
While the sprouts are in the oven, mix the cranberries, maple syrup, ginger and orange zest in a small saucepan. Heat over medium flame, stirring occasionally, until cranberries are somewhat broken down.
In another saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high flame until golden brown (about 4 minutes). When melted, add thyme and shallots.
Then add the butter to the cranberries. Oh wow, this is so delicious!
- 4 lbs of brussels sprouts halved
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 bag fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)
- 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest (optional; could also use a splash of orange juice)
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots or leeks
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss halved brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto 2 baking sheets.
- Roast 30-40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- In a saucepan, combine cranberries, maple syrup (or honey), ginger and optional orange zest. Stir over medium heat until cranberries start to break down.
- In a second saucepan, heat the butter over medium high heat. Stir and continue to cook until butter is a golden brown (about 3-4 minutes).
- When butter is golden, add thyme and shallots.
- Add butter mixture to cranberry mixture.
- Once the sprouts are roasted, put them on a serving platter.
- Spoon the butter sauce over the brussel sprouts and serve.
Featured on: Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Homemaking Linkup, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Weekend Gourmet, Monday Mania, Family Table Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cookin Tuesday