I love the versatility of stir fry! Meat, veggies…fry it all up and serve it over rice. Done and done. What I love even MORE about stir fry is that I can use whatever I have in my fridge. Any ingredients usually lend well to a stir fry. In this case, I had some broccoli, a red bell pepper, and some mushrooms that were begging for a job!
My husband really enjoys having creative freedom in the kitchen, so I let him have at this one. We found a little recipe for a sauce and modified it a bit.
After slicing a sirloin into thin strips, making the sauce, and stir frying the vegetables in some oil, he stir fried the beef and then mixed everything together! If I were to have some input in the kitchen this evening, I would have served the stir fry over brown rice. However, my husband is a white rice lover, and I don't think he will ever change his mind.
The texture of the veggies paired with the ginger-rich sauce, made this Beef Stir Fry a “repeater” in our home.
The following recipe is based on what I had on hand in my kitchen. Feel free to add and subtract as you wish!
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, sliced thin
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 box of mushrooms (8 ounces I think)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Slice the sirloin into thin strips and set aside. Sometimes the slicing is easier when the steak is partially frozen.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing together the broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and arrowroot powder. Set this aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil and stir fry the vegetables until they are tender, but still a bit crisp. Remove the veggies and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and stir fry the beef strips until they are browned.
- Add the veggies back into the skillet or wok along with the prepared sauce. Stir until the sauce is evenly distributed and slightly thickened.
- Serve over rice!
What is your favorite combination for stir fry?
More Stir Fry Recipes
Paleo Orange Chicken from Eat Your Beets