I was looking through my refrigerator, hungering for a nice hearty salad for our dinner.
I saw leftover crockpot chicken, a container of chick peas, some arugula and a bag of brussels sprouts I had forgotten about and started thinking.
I headed to the internet and discovered this delicious “Great Greens” salad. It looked delicious and I had the ingredients and some others to make the recipe my own.
I tore up a small head of romaine lettuce and added 1 cup of chopped arugula. I shredded my leftover crock pot chicken, probably 2 cups or so. I threw the brussels sprouts into the food processor to be sliced up. Then I dumped in my leftover chick peas and threw in 2 diced avocados and 1 diced honey crisp apple.
Then I made the dressing with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper.
This salad was delicious and hearty. My husband usually frowns upon my ‘salad nights' but even he felt full and satisfied.
The best part was that the leftover salad was even more tasty the next day! You know how it is hard to save already dressed salad because everything gets all mushy? This salad held up to a night in the refrigerator. I had a nice lunch the next day with a bowl of soup.
I felt good knowing that my family ate a dinner rich in healthy vegetables and healthy fats.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup chopped arugula
- 15-20 brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced (or apple of your choice)
- 1 cup chick peas
- Shredded chicken (amount is up to you. I used about 3 cups.)
- 2 avocados, diced
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce and arugula in a bowl.
- Add chickpeas, apple, brussels sprouts and avocado and toss again.
- Make dressing by adding lemon juice, honey, mustard and vinegar into a small bowl.
- Slowly add olive oil until it is at a consistency you like. I added a bit less than 1/2 a cup.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the salad with the dressing and enjoy!!