Some nights I need a meal that is ready to go. Tuesdays, lately, are that night for me. Taekwondo is finished at 6:30pm and the kids are HUNGRY! I am too! If I came home and started to prepare a meal, we wouldn't eat until almost 7:30 and bedtime is 8pm!
On these nights I like to have a meal that is ready to warm up, or a cold meal that I can just put on plates. I struggle coming up with yummy meals that fit this criteria. Usually I have a little forward thinking and prepare meals that have good leftovers that I can pull out of the freezer, like spaghetti sauce or chili.
On this particular day I was feeling creative. I decided to use what was in my fridge to make an antipasto salad. There are lots of good things that can go into an antipasto salad, so I know I had options. I boiled some pasta, made an Italian dressing that I like to make from time to time, and threw in whatever I could find. Really, everything but the kitchen sink.
This recipe is so versatile, so feel free to add and take away. Share your results in the comments!
Kitchen Sink Antipasto Salad
For the dressing
- 1 Tablespoon of Capers
- 2 teaspoons of anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pound pasta of your choice rotini, bowtie, penne
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup diced mozzarella
- 1 cup diced salami
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncinis
- 2 Tablespoons of Capers
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the dressing.
- Place all dressing ingredients but the olive oil in a food processor and pulse to combine. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and mix until emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the rinsed pasta and toss to combine.
- Add all of the other salad ingredients to the pasta and toss to combine.
- Chill until you are ready to eat!