Week 3 of our CSA program brought more spring vegetables and dairy products!
This week, we received:
- chives with flower buds
- rainbow swiss chard
- popcorn on the cob
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 3 heads of lettuce
- Organic Cornbread Mix
- 1 dozen eggs
- Misc yogurts
- cheddar cheese
- maple syrup butter
First of all, the above picture is terrible. Sorry about that!
I was so excited to try the maple cultured butter! Wow…so delicious. I served it on top of the cornbread and it was out of this world.
I will say I am a little disappointed in the yogurt…they taste fantastic but they are low fat and have quite a bit of sugar. 🙁
For the rest of the items, here's what I did:
- roasted asparagus
- Sesame asparagus (watch for the recipe!)
- Sauteed swiss chard, nothing fancy, just sautee in ghee and top with salt and pepper
- I do get a little tired of lettuce in the spring, but it does make for a great excuse to eat a lot of salads!
- I have been using the arugula on top of sandwiches. Such a nice treat!
- Popcorn is still waiting to be popped.
- And the chives have been going into my cultured sour cream for dips and dressings!
And now for the promised recipe from last week, the Spicy Shrimp with Bok Choy. We had received bok choy and ramps and this made a nice use of both. If you don't have ramps, leeks or green onions would work quite nicely.
This recipe was provided from Sandhill Organics Family Farms with my CSA box. I just adapted it a bit! Hope you enjoy!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/2 mushrooms, sliced (I used mixed mushrooms)
- 1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup shrimp stock (or more chicken stock)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (I used shoyu)
- 2-3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb soba noodles
- 3-4 ramps, stems and leaves roughly chopped
- Heat a medium stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and bok choy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Add stocks, soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp and noodles and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add ramps and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add soy or chili sauce to taste.
What exciting dishes did you make this week with your CSA box?
This post shared at these awesome blog carnivals: Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Fresh Bites Friday, Link Love, Simple Meals Friday, Fight Back Friday, Natural Living Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, Small Footprint Friday, Weekend Whatever, Sunday School, Make Your Own Monday, More the Merrier Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cooking Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Family Table Tuesdays, Tuned In Tuesdays