It's almost July 4th! Can you believe it?! I feel like summer just got underway.
What are your plans?
Usually we go to an annual party on July 3rd and then hang out at home on the 4th and have a small bbq and walk to our town's major park to watch the Fireworks.
I was trying to think of a fun dessert to make that would be tasty for kids and adults, and healthy of course, when I came up with 3 different ideas for red, white and blue popsicles!
Well, the middle one turned out pink, red and blue but you get the idea! I think I smooshed the berries too much when I was jamming in the popsicle stick. 😉
From left to right, I made a coconut-berry popsicle, a fermented lemonade-berry-watermelon pop and a vanilla kefir berry pop. I should have used drained fermented berries to add even more of a probiotic pop but I didn't have time!
They were super easy to make and you can use any popsicle molds. I used these because they were the ones I have on hand.
These recipes do not have exact measurements. They are really just guidelines. Taste the liquid before you pour them in the molds and adjust the flavorings/sweetness to your liking.
- Fermented Lemonade (could use regular lemonade too)
- Mixed berries
- and/or small pieces of watermelon (I tried to cut mine into stars)
- honey or stevia (optional if you need more sweetness)
- Put fruit pieces into popsicle molds.
- Pour in lemonade (mixed with honey/stevia if using).
- Plain milk kefir (mine was store bought but here is a recipe to make your own)
- Vanilla extract to taste.
- Honey or stevia to taste.
- Mixed berries
- Mix the kefir with vanilla and sweetener. Taste to see if you have the right ratio. I like to flavor plain kefir so it isn't too sweet.
- Place berries in popsicle molds.
- Pour kefir mixture over berries.
I hope you enjoy the popsicles and have a wonderful 4th of July!!
This post shared at these awesome blog carnivals: Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Simple Meals Friday, Fight Back Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, Small Footprint Friday, Weekend Whatever, Sunday School, Make Your Own Monday, More the Merrier Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Family Table Tuesdays, Tuned In Tuesdays