Several years ago, my parents went on a trip to Italy with some close friends. One of their most favorite things they did was to attend cooking classes.
My father LOVES to cook. He loves searching for ingredients, the process of cooking, and of course, enjoying the meal.
It was no surprise to me to hear how much he enjoyed learning from these Sicilian women.
One of the dishes he cooked for me upon returning from his trip was Sausage and Beans. Only 6 ingredients make up this dish but you would never know it.
Sausage and Beans is so simple both in ingredients and preparation. However, your guests will never know it.
It is okay to say that you slaved away in the kitchen all day because it will certainly taste like you did! Your guests will have visions of you slow cooking a tomato sauce all day to perfection when in actuality this dish takes 30 minutes or less to prepare.
Sausage and Beans is a perfect meal for a busy evening when you are short on time. If you wish to take the time to soak your beans, be sure to do that the night before. However, canned beans do just fine in this dish.
Sausage and Beans
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh Italian sausages about 2 ½ ounces each
- 2 14- oz cans cannelloni beans drained
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes with juice
- optional: pinch of ground red chili
- In a large frying pan, warm together the olive oil, sage leaves, and garlic.
- Add the sausages and brown lightly on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, crushed tomatoes, and ground chili (if you are using).
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring gently every so often for about 15 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the beans onto a warmed oval platter.
- Lay the sausages on top and serve.