One of my favorite uses for essential oils is using them in the bath. It is so nice to have a good soak. Sometimes I like to soak to relieve my occasional sore muscles but oftentimes the soak is to help me relax. Taking a hot, relaxing bath is a great way to unwind!
I like to mix my essential oils with epsom salts first to not only help the oils disperse throughout the water, but to experience the benefits of the magnesium rich epsom salts.
Benefits of Epsom Salts
Many people are sorely lacking in magnesium. Epsom salts can be an easy way to help replenish magnesium in the body.
According to the Epsom Salt Council:
Epsom salt is made up of naturally occurring minerals magnesium and sulfate, which can help improve health in numerous ways. A lack of magnesium—which helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body—can contribute to high blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems and other health issues, doctors warn. Sulfate is essential for many biological processes. It helps to flush toxins and form proteins in joints, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
Many athletes use Epsom salt as a natural remedy to help their bodies recover faster.
If you aren't the bath type, you can easily reap the benefits of epsom salts by soaking your feet!!
Essential Oils for Relaxation
There are many oils that people like to use for relaxation purposes. I like to diffuse them, rub them on my body with a carrier oil, add to a spray bottle and use as a pillow spray and add to my epsom salts for a relaxing bath. I love adding oils and epsom salts to my daughter's baths as well!
My general rule of thumb is 4-8 drops of essential oils for 1-2 cups of epsom salts. Here are 20 of my favorite relaxing bath salt recipes!
Relaxing Bath Recipes
Add essential oils to 1-2 cups of epsom salts.
- 4 drops Lavender and 4 drops Frankincense
- 4 drops Lavender and 4 drops Cedarwood
- 2 drops Lavender 2 drops Orange and 4 drops Cedarwood
- 4 drops Cedarwood and 4 drops Vetiver
- 4-8 drops Stress Away
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang and 4 drops Stress Away
- 4-8 drops Gentle Baby
- 4-8 drops Peace and Calming
- 4-8 drops Lavender
- 4 drops Roman Chamomile, 2 drops Lavender and 3 drops Cedarwood
- 4 drops Peace and Calming and 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang 4 drops Lavender and 2 drops Orange
- 4 drops Stress Away and 4 drops Frankincense
- 4 drops Valor
- 4 drops Valor and 2 drops Lavender
- 4 drops Roman Chamomile and 4 drops Frankincense
- 4 drops Frankincense and 4 drops Sandalwood
- 4 drops Sandalwood and 4 drops Lavender
- 4 drops Lavender, 2 drops Geranium and 2 drops Roman Chamomile
- add 1 drop of Rose or Neroli to any of these combos if you are lucky enough to have a bottle!!!
What is your favorite combination for a relaxing epsom salt bath? Please share in the comments!
Exclusive Discount for Our Readers
And guess what? Our friends over at SKS Bottle and Packaging have offered a 10% discount on these awesome jars! Use coupon code SKSCoupon03 when purchasing item number: 4021-12. How awesome is that??? You can get a case of jars and use them for gifts, make and takes or try some other recipe combos!!! So head on over there and get your jars!