We are surrounded by toxic substances. They are in our food, our air, water, clothes, furniture, cleaning products, beauty products…literally everywhere! It is pretty much impossible to detox everything but it is very important to try to reduce your toxic load if at all possible.
Many people like to detox their bodies a few times a year, myself included. But what about detoxing your home as best as possible all the time?
Choosing better cleaning products is a super simple way to reduce toxins in your home. I have recently been using Young Living Essential Oils Thieves Household Cleaner, which is AMAZING and so versatile. But these homemade cleaning recipes used to be regularly used in my house so I wanted to share!
Does the thought of removing chemicals from your home seem daunting to you? Don’t sweat it. In just 5 days you can be well on your way to a toxin free home! Grab your 5 easy steps here!
Here are 3 of my favorite non toxic cleaning recipes to use in the home. They are simple and extremely cost effective to make!
Vinegar and Water Cleaner
I often use this throughout the house…bathrooms, kitchen, etc. Vinegar isn't recommended for granite so be mindful of that!
- Fill 16 ounce spray bottle 1/4 full with white vinegar.
- Add 10-20 drops essential oil of your choice (I like to rotate between Lemon, Pine, Thieves, Purification, Tea Tree to name a few!)
- Fill with water.
Castille Soap and Water Cleaner
This cleaner is great on surfaces where you can't use vinegar. It is also good as a general household cleaner.
- Fill a 16 oz spray bottle to an inch or two below the fill line, leave room to add the soap and essential oil.
- Add approx. 1 Tbsp. liquid castille soap (I like unscented, because then I can get the full aroma effects of whatever essential oils I use).
- Add 10-20 drops of essential oil of your choice (I like to rotate between Lemon, Pine, Thieves, Purification, Tea Tree to name a few!)
- Shake gently to combine.
Baking Soda with EO
This is great when you need a little extra scrubbing power. I like to use it in my stainless sink and to remove soap scum in the bathtubs.
- Mix 1 cup baking soda with 3 tbsp liquid castille soap to make a paste
- Add 10-20 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Add to an 8 ounce container
- Scrub surface you are cleaning, rinse and follow up with your household cleaner
What are your favorite homemade cleaning recipes? The options are endless and we would love to hear from you! Let us know in the comments!
Our friends at SKS Bottle and Packaging have some great products and exclusive 10% discount codes for our readers.
16 ounce spray bottle
Use coupon code SKSCoupon18 on product number 0012-45, 16 ounce spray bottle.
8 ounce plastic jar
Use coupon code SKSCoupon12 on product number 0604-19, 8 ounce plastic jar.
8 ounce glass jar
Use coupon code SKSCoupon03 on product number 4021-12, 8 ounce glass jar.
These sound great! What would you use on hardwood floors? Thanks!
I like to use Thieves Household cleaner from Young Living on my floors. Or I add 1/2 cup vinegar to a bucket of hot water and add essential oils for scent!