If you have been following Oh Lardy, you know we are very focused on maintaining a healthy digestive system. Optimal digestion is the key to a healthy immune system response.
We also promote using bone broth and using quality gelatin powder to help promote healthy digestion and a healthy gut, among other myriad benefits of broth. I love using bone broth as a tea, in soups and stews and using it to braise meats, vegetables and to cook rice and beans.
Many of our readers are also avid users of these wonderfully healing traditional foods!
Recently I was introduced to another product to add to our diet and I am amazed at what a great addition this is to keeping our digestive and immune systems functioning optimally!
Add Colostrum to Your Diet
Colostrum. Ever heard of it? It is really nature's first food…provided by all female mammals during the first few days after birth. It is very important promoting the healthy development and function of the immune system at birth.
You can sometimes find colostrum via a raw dairy if you have access, but most of us do not have such access. When my husband was still playing professional football, he would pour raw colostrum from a local dairy into his smoothies when it was available (which wasn't very often) as there are possible benefits for using colostrum for athletic recovery.
Why Use Colostrum
Colostrum has many possible benefits. Here are 4 that will really resonate with Oh Lardy readers:
- Colostrum Plus can support a healthy immune response.*
- Colostrum may enhance stamina and normal lean muscle re-growth after strenuous physical exercise, when consumed at about 20 grams per day.*
- Colostrum promotes healthy intestinal flora and the normal functioning of the entire GI tract.* (hello! This is what Oh Lardy loves!!!)
- Colostrum contains naturally occurring growth factors in colostrum may encourage cellular re-growth for healthy skin, bones, muscles, nerves and cartilage.*
The reason colostrum is so beneficial is because it contains the following components which have been studied extensively:
- Proline-Rich Polypeptides (PRPs), which act systemically, modulating the complex immune system so that it can better respond as needed.*
- Naturally Occuring Growth Factors, which are peptides that function as inter-cellular signaling molecules to turn on or turn off production of specific proteins in the target cells. They assist in completing the growth, development and maintenance of a healthy gut wall.* (If we are adding all those probiotics into our gut, we need to make sure our gut wall is healthy to keep them inside the digestive tract!!)
- Immunoglobulins (IgG, IgA, IgE, IgM, IgD), which are antibodies. They play a key role in maintaining a healthy immune system and GI tract.*
- Lactoferrin, which is an iron-binding protein found in most immune cells and its receptors have been found on most immune function cells including lymphocytes, monocytes, macrophages and platelets.*
Introducing: Symbiotics Colostrum Plus®
I have been using Symbiotics Colostrum Plus® since being introduced to it in September, 2014 at a conference. I love how I feel when I take it. My husband uses the powder in his smoothies. I take a capsule and my daughter loves the fruit flavored chewable tablets (particularly the pineapple flavor!).
Symbiotics® is a brand that makes it easy to get colostrum into your diet. Colostrum Plus® can promote everyday good health for normal, healthy digestive and immune system function. My friend (and fellow digestive health advocate!), Registered Dietician Ashley Koff, talks more about the product in the video below. She may answer your question of ‘why use colostrum?':
Now are you convinced as to why using colostrum is a great addition to the arsenal of maintaining optimal digestion?
Symbiotics® has quite a few types of Colostrum Plus® products. You can check them out over at their website.
And guess what? Symbiotics® has been kind enough to offer a 10% discount off of their products for our lucky readers!! Use the coupon code OHL10 upon checkout at Symbiotics® Shop! (This coupon expires October 1, 2015 so don't delay!!)
Looking for a good recipe to use with Colostrum Plus? Check out these Chocolate Hazelnut Bites!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.